Thursday, December 13, 2012

Chris and I celebrated my graduation with champagne.  He didn't have champagne glasses, so we just used regular ones.  Then we drank our champagne while watching Blazing Saddles, a true classic.  So yeah, my celebration was champagne, a Coke glass (from a McDonald's promotion, maybe?  I can't remember...) and Blazing Saddles.  Seems about in line with the rest of my life.

Today I discovered that KeepVid finally works on my school computer (they had somehow blocked every program that downloads from YouTube in the past) and so my major project for the afternoon is to download all the Magic English and Gogo videos.  Magic English is a wonderful thing, because it's all the old Disney videos spliced together with English themes like "Houses" or "Colours".  So, for example, they'll put together clips that have to do with houses while using really simple English to talk about them.  The educational value is only just barely there, but the fact that the videos are all in English with lots of repetition while still remaining interesting for the kids is what makes them great for extra classes or the end of the year or other times when you want to educate but the kids aren't in a position to handle much new information.

I first learned about this back at King's English, a looong time ago.  One thing I've done these past couple of years is to go around to the places I used to live and work here and see what they're like now.  King's is gone, obviously - Mom and Pop businesses do tend to struggle when Mom and Pop are arguing, or separating, or divorcing, or whatever it was they were doing toward the end there.  The whole are has been totally developed, too; I actually had trouble finding my way because things had taken a dramatic turn for the shiny and neon.

Anyway, all this is only so interesting considering none of my readers have ever seen Magic English nor been to King's English (except Bob, if he still reads this), so I'll stop boring you with all that.  Instead, please enjoy some photos of me and the Japanese guys graduating.  Pretty sure I have the biggest nose in the room:




That last shot features me devoutly praying for the conversation to end and for people to stop asking me to speak.  I've graduated; I've proven I can speak Korean; now I never have to do it again, right?  Isn't that how that works?

Probably  not... sigh.

1 comment: